1998 Reissue "Switchmaster" Hollowbody in Blonde
"The ES-5 was introduced by Gibson in 1949, and it was the first model of the ES-series to offer three pickups. Unlike other multiple-pickup models of its era, the original ES-5 used three different volume knobs (one for each pickup and one master tone) rather than a selector switch to offer players improved control over their tone.
In 1955 the model became the ES-5 Switchmaster, which incorporated a four-position selector switch, along with a new six-knob configuration featuring a volume and a tone knob for each pickup. The ES-5 Switchmaster was produced until 1962. It remained out of production until 1995 when a reissue model from the Gibson Custom division was released."
This guitar was kept in superb condition by its previous owner though there are a few things to note. The most notable cosmetic flaw would be some finish checking that was caused while this guitar was in transit. There’s some additional cracking in the finish where the headstock meets the neck and a scratch on the side of the lower bout near the output jack. Otherwise, there are some subtle scratches on the face of the headstock and some pick scratches on the pickguard. We would rate this guitar as being in VERY GOOD+ to EXCELLENT condition.
- Single Cutaway Archtop Hollowbody Shape
- Laminated Figured Maple Top, Back, and Sides
- Ivoroid Body, Neck, and Headstock Binding
- Blonde Finish
- Multi-ply Purfling
- Maple and Walnut 5-Piece Neck
- Rosewood Fingerboard
- Mother-of-Pearl Block Fingerboard Inlays
- Black Headstock Veneer with Crown Inlay
- Medium C Neck Carve
- 3 Gibson ’57 Classic Humbucker Pickups
- ABR-1 Bridge with Trapeze-style Loop Tailpiece
- Grover Kidney Tuning Machines
- Black Pickguard with Multi-ply Binding
- Bone Nut
- 1 11/16” Nut Width
- 25 1/2” Scale Length
- 20 Frets
- Approximately 8.3 lbs.
- Individual Volume and Tone Knobs for Each Pickup
- Toggle Switch For Neck/Middle/Bridge/All Pickups
- Non-original TKL Hardshell Case