Used Acoustic Guitars
Martin, C.F.: CS D-41 15(Item ID: CS D-41 15 Serial#: 1916053)
2015 Custom Shop D-41 with VTS Adirondack Spruce Top and Rosewood Back and Sides
Just in. Photos to follow soon.
Many may know that in each of the last few years at the January NAMM trade show, the team from the Martin Company Custom Shop will have on display unique instruments that show off their amazing skills as well as highlight their artistic sensibilities. As such, some of the instruments on display are one-offs while others are the first example of a limited offering. This CS- D-41-15 is one of 115 from a limited series made for 2015, and not only is it a stunning instrument to behold, it has a sound that is equally mesmerizing.
To start with, this guitar is flat out gorgeous. It has a savory warmth to its appearance made possible by the use of top grade East Indian rosewood for the back, sides and headplate that is the perfect backdrop for the awesome "Ribbon" inlay of Koa and Cocobolo rosewood that adorns the back and the headplate and is of a form that is suggestive of a DNA double helix. A different iteration of this design made with a combination of wood and abalone gracefully entwined is used as position markers on the ink black ebony fingerboard. Then, like an attractive ribbon wrapping a gift of succulent chocolates, honey colored Flamed mahogany is used to bind the body, fingerboard, and headstock. Flamed mahogany also adorns the heelcap and endplate. Finally, complementing this visual confection is a toast toned torrefied (VTS) Sitka spruce top that features a contrasting ring of luminous abalone around its edges and soundhole.
The voice of this guitar is marked by an expansive breadth of sound that is especially lively and responsive. The Indian rosewood produces a stirring bass register with a robust sustain that firmly supports and naturally balances colorful overtones that the Martin VTS process liberates from the Sitka spruce top. Another quality of its sound that we like, which is probably attributable to the VTS process as well, is the intensity of its sound, its definition. Like the better vintage guitars we have played, the sound of this "new" guitar has a well defined edge, a honed tone with both weight and color, and clarity that penetrates. As a tonal resource, this is a sound with character that will inspire a player.
While any player will enjoy playing this guitar, the enhanced performance features of this guitar might make it an ideal choice for a fingerstyle player. These include a 1 3/4" nut width (more comfortable string spacing), and Martin's fast playing modified low oval neck with its unique taper. These ingredients combined with this instruments splendid voice will allow a player to creatively improve on older musical recipes and more readily explore new ones as well.
* Body Size - Dreadnought 14-Fret
* Top - VTS Solid Sitka Spruce
* Top Bracing Pattern - Standard X Scalloped
* Bracing Size - 5/16"
* Top Purfling and Rosette - Style 41 Abalone
* Back and Sides - Solid Indian Rosewood
* Back Inlay - Custom Ribbon Design with Koa and Cocobolo Rosewood
* Headplate - Indian Rosewood with Custom Ribbon Inlay
* Neck Shape - Modified Low Oval with Performing Artist Taper
* Neck Material - Flamed Spanish Cedar
* Nut and Saddle Material - Bone
* Bridge Material - Solid Black Ebony
* Fingerboard Material - Solid Black Ebony
* Fingerboard Inlays - Custom Design Concave Ribbon with Select Abalone
* Fingerboard Binding Material - Flamed Mahogany with Multi-Stripe
* Body Binding - Flamed Mahogany
* Heelcap - Flamed Mahogany with Multi-Stripe
* Headplate Binding Material - Flamed Mahogany with Multi-Stripe
* Scale Length - 25.4"
* Nut Width - 1-3/4"
* Body Finish - Polished Gloss
* Tuning Machines - Schaller Grand Tune Open Gear with Oval Koa Buttons
This guitar is in superb condition, and, but for a minor dent on the back of the neck, it might easily pass as new.
This guitar includes a custom Cedar Creek archtop hardshell case as well. It features a unique textured exterior finish with a silver stitched monogram of the Martin logo on the body of the case. The interior is black velvet, and extra protection for the guitar is provided in the form of a monogrammed custom black satin/velvet cover to place over the cased instrument.
Click below to popup a larger image